Monday, February 20, 2012

Kuya J Restaurant: Where Natal Date Was Celebrated


So, it was the nth birthday. The initial plan was to go to Chopsticks for the family dinner since my mom (if you haven't read the other entries in this blog) loves Chinese cuisine. However, me and Mr Kyme already tried the place out. We loved it, but we wanted to go somewhere different, and there are still a lot of places to go if the question is all about where to eat in Cebu. 

We were looking at three different places I've been wanting to go to, and choose Kuya J Restaurant because it had a lot of seafood on its menu, which is my mom's favorites as well. When you think about it, seafoods is healthier than Chinese dishes, too. Not that we love Chinese a bit less. 

Anyway, we were not able to get a reservation earlier that day, and it was a Sunday, so we decided to go there early to avoid not getting any seats. After all, Sunday is family day. It was our first time to go there, and the only thing I know is that it is near Yayoy's Grill, which I have visited once or twice more than a year ago. Kuya J was really easy to locate though.                     
 
Center

Right Side

Left Side

This is how it looks from outside. 16-20 people can be comfortably accommodated outside and around 25-30 people inside. The good thing about their outdoor dining setup is the fact that the restaurant is located in a residential neighborhood. Hence, not a lot of vehicles go through the area. One does not have to worry about smoke, dirt and dust getting into the food.
                                   
Table for 7

We opted for the table inside in spite of the nice weather to get a better look at the restaurant. They had 3 long tables that can accommodate larger groups and another 3 table for couples. The entire feel of the interiors do not match the name of the establishment. In fact, me and my siblings do not think the name gives justice to the restaurant. It deserves a better name. That's a decision the management has control over though. This is just our point of view. 
Lighting Decor (The small round things resemble small sea urchins minus the actual content)

White walls + Hip & Trendy Ornaments = Lovely place to dine

Sea Urchin Ball of Lights

The counter

Stairs leading up. Wasn't able to ask though about what is up there.

Another unique lighting fixture by the door

Wall decor (Hearts Day is still around!)

Left part of the room

The people were very accommodating. We ordered the following, which were served in 20-25 minutes. It was probably because we were the first customers there that day.
                                 
Baked Scallops

Siniganga (Tanguige)

Tuna Panga

Sizzling (Tuna) Sisig

Sizzling Bangus Teriyaki

Spicy Calamares

Grilled Pork Belly

Adobong Kangkong

(Cold) Calamansi Juice

Watermelon Shake

I forgot to take a photo of the fresh buko juice (in nicely-cut coconut minus the husk) and mango shake which some of us ordered. I also was not able to take a photo of the garlic rice platter, which had some eggs in it. There were 9 of us in the group, and we finished 3 and a half platters of rice that was good for 3-4 people each.

Since my friend Rishee asked me to post photos of the menu on my next post, I really took time to capture every entry in the menu. Unfortunately, the SOUPS part is lost. All the others are here though. My apologies to those who are checking out the Soups above it all.
                                  
                                   
                                   



                                    


                                  
Dessert (Goldilocks Black Forest)

I really appreciate how nice their customer service was. They offered us dessert, and when we mentioned that we brought cake because one of us is celebrating her birthday, they (without us asking about/for it) brought us some saucers and dessert spoons. I was so happy with that gesture that the service crews got the largest amount of tip I have left ever in a restaurant. Thank you again, Kuya J people! I made the right decision to bring my family there instead of the many other places to eat in Cebu . 

Billed: P2310 for 9 very busog (full) and contented people! There were even some unfinished business with the tuna panga, which they packed for us. 
Service: One of the few that really made me happy. Keep it up!
Ambiance: Really nice. It made me not want to go home. It is also good for couples and romantic dinners, but perfect for families and large groups of friends or colleagues.

 
0394 Orchid St. Capitol Site
Cebu City
(From Capitol Bldg., go straight ahead until Joven's Grill. Turn right and go straight ahead. Turn right on the third corner. Go straight ahead. Kuya J is on the right side of the road.
Contact #: 322531343











































4 comments:

  1. Thank you for following up on a request :) Kuya J's tuna belly is just the best as well :)
    Im just super hungry whenever I read your posts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, Rish! Your suggestion keeps me reminded always to take a pic of the menu this time.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. i love kuya j's better than STK. :D this post is making me hungry. haizzz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard it is better than STK. Haven't tried STK, so I cannot pass on any judgment about it. I love Kuya J's though.

      Delete